[Freeswitch-users] Hylafax server emulation

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Apr 5 20:27:03 MSD 2011

Hi,

It has always been clear that a HylaFAX compatible FAX job submission
server would add considerably to the value of the FAX facilities in
Asterisk and Freeswitch, but somehow it hasn't happened until now. I
recently found that in 2005 someone produced something fairly basic for
Asterisk in Perl, but it doesn't seem to have been well publicised, and
it looks like development stalled long ago.

I now have the skeleton of HylaFAX compatible FAX job submission server,
in C, working. It accepts FAX submissions from sendfax and a couple of
the windows HylaFAX clients, though it needs a lot more polishing. Now I
need to look at the best thing to do on the Freeswitch side. I aim to
make the server maintain its own database of FAX jobs. It will attach to
Freeswitch, by ESL; push the jobs through FS; deal with scheduling,
retries, etc; and report the final result to the user, just as HylaFAX
does. The thing I am rather unsure about is the best way to handle the
accounts used to accept FAX jobs? Should I maintain a separate database
of FAX accounts, or hook into an existing database? I would welcome
suggestions for what would be the most useful approach.

Steve