[Freeswitch-users] server failure

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 00:30:53 PDT 2010

I think it sounds like the issue is having is his phone registers and the
server then crashes. Because there is no connection kept open the phone
doesn't detect the server is no longer available, so it keeps trying to send
calls to the offline server instead of switching to another server.

There are a few solutions:
1) Client side: Either get a phone that can fall back to a backup, or log
out and in again
2) Server side: Install a load balancer/ipvs/virtual ip to perform HA so
that when one server fails another server automatically takes over its calls
3) Client+server combination: Use DNS SRV records to give the client a list
of several servers with weights & priorities. It'll rely on the client
supporting that though, and not just calling the same IP from the pool every
time.

-Steve