[Freeswitch-users] quality of google voice

Larry Matter cm-freeswitch at matter.net
Wed Sep 8 21:26:16 PDT 2010

I was very excited to see that freeswitch can make calls through google
voice (or is gmail?).  I got it working without too much fuss thanks to
the wiki.  But the sound quality compared to my normal sip trunks is not
very good.  I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or do others have
this "get what you pay for" experience with it.

When I made a call the experience was a very significant delay in the
audio (like a few seconds).  I would hear a question, and answer it, and
then hear the other person repeat the question as if I didn't hear it.
There was also significant "crackle" as if there was a loose wire
somewhere.  I called back using my regular sip trunk and it was fine.

I run freeswitch on an underutilized x86_64 box running Centos 5.5, zippy
broadband connection.  It is behind a NAT device, and my Cisco 7940 is
behind a different NAT device.  I'm a novice when it comes to the details
of VOIP, but of course love to learn.  I would love some suggestions on
how to investigate this.

Thanks!
Larry Matter