[Freeswitch-users] what happened to iax

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Tue Sep 7 14:29:14 PDT 2010

This thread seems to go into a discussion on pro and cons of IAX in
particular cases...

As anything, IAX can have users that find it useful.

Problem is, the "open" (as in BSD compatible license) implementation
of the IAX stack is broken, and to write a new stack is a *really* big
work, that takes time from professional programmers and testers.

So, at end, problem is: the peoples/companies that would like to use
IAX with FreeSWITCH (or other software not GPLed) are willing/able to
raise enough money to fund the development of a working and reliable
IAX stack?

Maybe the people/companies interested can start a fund raising via
web, launching a sort of consortium for that...

-giovanni

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Derek Smithies <derek at indranet.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>  cause most sip phones I have tried suck.
>
> Typically, the UI is broken, and hard to follow.
>
> When a user gets an iax phone, all they have to do is set the locn of the
> remote server, and "it just works".
>
> Remember, your average user does not know what a file is, or how to use one.
>
> "if you know how to set it up properly".
> ok - this statement means that SIP is good for 0.1% of the population..
>
> Derek.
>
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Brian West wrote:
>
>> Why is everyone dead set on using IAX?  you know SIP works fine and can
>> traverse NAT if you know how to set it up properly.
>> /b
>>
>> On Sep 7, 2010, at 8:16 AM, Steven Ayre wrote:
>>
>>      Yuck.
>>
>>      On 7 September 2010 02:56, Jeffrey
>> Leung <curriegrad2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>            If you do really want to use IAX, there is a solution: Use
>> Asterisk as
>>            an IAX protocol translator and have it to forward all the calls
>> via
>>            SIP to Freeswitch.
>>

> --
> Derek Smithies Ph.D.