[Freeswitch-users] Early Media troubles

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 09:08:23 PDT 2010

Your problem is 100% related to the example you are testing and not
the real-world usage.

in your dialplan where you have:

<action application="bridge" data="loopback/wait"/>

change it to:

<action application="bridge" data="{ignore_early_media=true}loopback/wait"/>

This is not documented properly in the default config.
Without the ignore_early_media param the ringing stage ends as soon as
you get a 183 and the call bridges instantly assuming the far end will
be sending the media.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Jock McKechnie
<jock.mckechnie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>>
>> Again I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that this works fine...
>> FreeSWITCH will send early media we have people doing this... if it didn't
>> work we would have an army of very angry people beating our doors down.  Are
>> you doing any RTP proxy on OpenSIPS?
>
> Believe me, I understand what you're saying. This is why I keep suggesting I
> must be doing something barmy, but as yet, it just simply isn't working and
> I can't find whatever "it" is.
> No RTP proxying.
> I just tried it with a different inbound provider (Peerless), to ensure it
> wasn't specifically a VZ thing, and it isn't. I then realised that I *know*
> it's FreeSWITCH not playing ball, not a provider, because I've used
> Wireshark to reassemble the RTP and listen to it, and it definitely /is not/
> playing any kind of ringing cadence in early media. The early media RTP is
> literally silence, until the call 200 OKs and the RTP has the Playback
> audio.
> What's my next step? Hire a consultant to actually log into the machine? I
> don't like admitting defeat, but I'm wondering if I'm to the point where
> without having someone staring at how it's set up, and can personally
> tcpdump to see what I'm seeing (so they know I'm not full of it;), I'm not
> going to get much further.
> Thanks;
>  - Jock
>

>> On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Jock McKechnie wrote:
>>

>> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org>
>> > wrote:
>> > What device are you working with.. because handling early media is
>> > optional so your device might be ignoring it.
>> >
>> > I'm working directly with an inbound vendor, with a signalling proxy in
>> > the middle, so the flow is:
>> >
>> > Verizon -> OpenSIPS -> FreeSWITCH
>> >
>> > The media is, of course, going direct VZ<->FS (which works, since asides
>> > from the early media, I get the audio fine on Playback).
>> >
>> > VZ is running a Sonus of some sort, beyond that I'm unsure. I know I can
>> > force a ringback on inbound Asterisk calls and it works, so I'm assuming
>> > their equipment is correctly set to handle early media, but not 100%
>> > positive.
>> >

>> >  - JP

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/