[Freeswitch-users] OS X 10.6 - CORE_SOFTTIMER_MODULE.so & CORE_PCM_MODULE.so missing

Mario Guzman mario_fs at mgtech.com
Mon Oct 25 09:58:18 PDT 2010

This is what I did Saturday and works. I have been refining this for a month. Will put on the wiki when cleaned I finish and clean it up.

Install FS on osX 10.6.4 as of October 23 2010 using git version

INSTALL APPLE SDK
Per Apple instructions

INSTALL GIT & CREATE SOURCE DIRECTORY
NOTE: This must be done before changing /usr/local owner or the installer won't create the files.
1. Download from: http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/
2. It will launch an easy gui installer.
3. This install creates /usr/local if it did not exist.

CHANGE /usr/local OWNER & GROUP
1. Launch the Terminal application.
2. cd /usr
3. sudo chown -R yourid:yourgroup local   <- required for editing

CREATE /usr/local/src
This is where we will place the source to all packages
1. cd local  or  cd /usr/local  <- if not already there
2. mkdir src

INSTALL LIBJPEG NEEDED FOR SPANDSP:
IMPORTANT: Most searches will find libjpeg-6, DO NOT USE IT! It took
several hours of trying to load it on osx and never got it to work. V7
was a snap. See:
http://proteus-tech.com/blog/cwt/install-pil-in-snow-leopard/
1. Download libjpeg at www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v7.tar.gz
2. Will download to Downloads directory.
3. Click to uncompress or tar zxvf jpegsrc.v7.tar.gz
4. cd Downloads
5. mv jpeg-7  /usr/local/src
6. cd /usr/local/src/jpeg-7
7. ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static
8. make
9. sudo makemake install  <- need sudo because loaded into /usr/bin

DOWNLOAD FREESWITCH
1. cd src   or  cd /usr/local/src
2. Download git version of FreeSwitch:
git clone git://git.freeswitch.org/freeswitch.git

GENERATE FREESWITCH BASIC MODULES
This must be done to create modules.conf
1. cd freeswitch  or  cd /usr/local/src/freeswitch
2. ./bootstrap.sh   <- Creates modules.conf
3. ./configure

EDIT MODULES.CONF TO INCLUDE FUNCTIONS
1. Launch xCode from the SDK.
2. Use File/Open.. menu
3. While file window is open press command+shift+.(period) to view hidden files.
4. Navigate to and edit /usr/local/src/freeswitch/modules.conf
5. Search for flite and remove #.
6. If you want mp3 emails search for shout and remove #. <- Not recommended!
7. Save the file.

COMPILE FS TO CREATE ADDITIONAL DIRECTORIES AND TEST
This will create libs/flite and other files due to modules.conf changes.
1. cd freeswitch  or  cd /usr/local/src/freeswitch if not already there.
2. make
if you get "error: conflicting types for ‘swab’" then you must FIX FLITE
If no errors proceed to INSTALL FREESWITCH

FIX FLITE COMPILE PROBLEM (This may be fixed by the developers).
This is what is causing flite to fail during make. For info visit these URLs:
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/festlang-talk/2008-June/001043.html
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/mpanning/OSX.html
1. cp /usr/include/string.h /usr/local/src/freeswitch/libs/flite-1.3.99/include
2. chmod +rw+rw+rw /usr/local/src/freeswitch/libs/flite-1.3.99/include/string.h  <- So you can update the file.
3. Launch xCode from the SDK.
4. Use File/Open.. menu
5. While file window is open press command+shift+.(period) to view hidden files.
6. Navigate /usr/local/src/freeswitch/libs/flite-1.3.99/include and select file string.h
7. find "swab" twice and change line:
void swab(const void * __restrict, void * __restrict, ssize_t);
              to (comment the line):
/*void swab(const void * __restrict, void * __restrict, ssize_t);*/
8. Save the file
9. make  <- in the freeswitch directory to recompile.

INSTALL FREESWITCH
1. cd /usr/local/src/freeswitch
2. make install   <- note sudo not needed here
3. make cd-sounds-install
4. make cd-moh-install