[Freeswitch-users] Get on IRC day!!

Mario mario_fs at mgtech.com
Fri Oct 8 16:29:07 PDT 2010

I hope you don't mind comments and a thank you from a newbie. My
background is VOIP on Linksys SPA9000(I hate)/SPA962 phones in small
office for 3 years. I tried Asterisk and gave up, then FreeSwitch
earlier this year. I saw the book was coming so waited for that (I read
it 3 times). I am a mainframe computer programmer so not too dumb but
VOIP is all new to me. From a real newbies perspective:

1. The book was invaluable to get started. The wiki was invaluable to
keep going.

2. I started simple, trying to duplicate what I had: Two separate
systems one with answering and one with IVR that calls a cell phone.

3. I got it to work with the book and wiki and valuable help from the
mailing list that gave me info not in the book  or Wiki (that I could
find, such as bridge had to use :_:). In other words, I needed all three
resources to duplicate what I had.

4. I decided to add more functions since Freeswitch was so powerful, and
I was having fun with it. I have some pretty slick things (to me anyway)
implemented. I sure learned a lot I will share on the wiki.

5. But I have two problems, one a show stopper (prevents calls) since
September 21. Some people need to be hand-held all the time but I am not
one of them. Posting in the list is my last resort, usually after
several hours/days of searching. I have spent weeks on the two problems
(20 hours in the last 3 days). I posted on the list and got on IRC for
the first time today. My impression was that IRC was for the pros,
although to my surprise I was able to answer a newbies question! I
thought I would have figured it out by now but no. This scenario of a
newbie getting this far and having a show-stopper would be nice to
address. Could be a separate IRC for newbies?

As for paying/donations, I built FS on my OpenSuse system and plan to
put my goodies on the wiki. I also built this on osX where the final FS
will run (Mac mini). It was tough and someone else on the list had
problems on 10.6.4 and I provided everything I learned. I will also add
this to the wiki. Finally, my business has gone down a lot and don't
have much to spend but I was going to get the Hogans Heroes DVD
collection on the wish list or something like that (BTW, it's on HD on
UHD). You guys deserve a lot more but I am limited these days.

Anyway, thanks for a great product and I wish you luck and $$$ from it.
I will buy every book you publish and recommend FreeSwitch to anyone who
can use it.
Mario