[Freeswitch-users] g729 passthrough mode

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 15:06:50 PDT 2010

"I think Steven meant that no transcoding was required at the FS
level, which was the point of Abid's question."

Yes, to show it's specifically the lack of encoder/decoder that means
no license is required and that it's the raw data from the client
that's sent straight through in passthrough. Which isn't quite how it
works with other codecs where you can attach media bugs etc which you
can't do with a passthrough codec.

"And the main disadvantage of using bypass media is probably the NAT
handling, and the lack of topology hiding."

Plus in a lot of cases firewalls may not allow it.

Example 1:
We have customers -> FS -> gateways. Gateways are reachable by FS but
not from customers (due to IP ACL on gateway firewalls).

Example 2:
We have also have customers -> FS -> gateways. Gateways are on LAN, so
reachable from FS but not from customers.

In both those cases bypass media wouldn't work, since there's no way
for traffic to go between the gateways, but FS can't know that so the
call would be setup but with no audio.

-Steve