[Freeswitch-users] Major update to Download & Installation wiki

Mario G mario_fs at mgtech.com
Mon Nov 29 08:55:49 PST 2010

FYI to interested parties. I made a major replacement to the Downloads and Installation page http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Installation_Guide and updated others. It was obvious additions over the years made this somewhat disorganized. This is my second contribution, after the Mac OS install and tips page. You can view the history tab to look at pages prior to 11/27/2010 to see the old pages. I started with small changes due to the new Mac OS X in added, but then kept going since I have experience writing books and kept seeing things that needed changing. I tried to make this easy to understand and follow. This took too long, a week. Hope this helps the FreeSWITCH™ community!

A comment/opinion/request for contributions: Make the Wiki generic so it applies to everyone. It appears people have added info specific to their system. For instance, if something is optional it should be noted as that not implied to be mandatory for installation.

NEW PAGES
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Linux_Quick_Install_Guide	<-  I made this generic, no references to distributions, that's the only way to keep it a quick install guide.
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Installation_for_Windows	<- I combined everything I could find on Windows

UPDATED PAGES:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Download_&_Installation_Guide	<- major rewrite/reorganization except for distributions I could not test, see below
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Download_FreeSWITCH	<-minor cleanup
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Quick_Start	<- minor added info from other Ubuntu pages
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Git_Install	<- very minor Mac OS X change

OBSOLETE PAGES:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Quick_and_Dirty_Install		<- replaced by linux quick install guide, some text moved to other pages
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Windows_email
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Build_deb_package_for_Ubuntu_Hardy

DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION GUIDE CHANGES
It is a little more detailed but the new linux quick install guide is referenced at the top for a quick overview.

Size went from 47k to 35k. But there is more usable information. Some of the changes:

I tested FS installation on CentOS, Debian, Fedora, and openSUSE  to make sure they are up-to-date. I tried to do freebsd and ubuntu but they don't allow LVM installs.  I did minor edits to Arch Linux, FreeBSD, Gentoo, pfSense, Red Hat, Ubuntu, and Cross Compiling since I could not test them. Some seem really out of date. If you really want to see the changes do a compare in history. I made the new/replacement distributions generic and much smaller by linking to continuation steps, no need to duplicate info 12 times.

New Distribution section has updated and simplified format (only for the ones I installed and tested).

Reorganized so it is no longer "spagetti" documentation. Over years people added info without regard for where it should be placed.

Rewrote the installation steps.

Cleaned up text

Removed duplication

Added tons of links

Prebuilt binaries section now combined from multiple sources.

Kept all technical information

Fixed prerequisites.

Removed obviously obsolete information. I did not remove anything that I didn't know for sure was obsolete (like FS 1.0.1 stuff).

Added ™ to to FreeSWITCH in text.

Tried to make it more professional

Moved Windows information to its own page and consolidated Windows pages. I have no intention is updating that information. I cleaned up text but did not change any technical info since I cannot verify the information.