[Freeswitch-users] Change mod_skypopen ptime to 10ms?

Roman_ lists at ione.ch
Sat Nov 20 21:54:39 PST 2010

Giovanni Maruzzelli-2 wrote:

> So, do it, hack the code until it works perfect (not only in this
> case,  also in the default case) then contribute a patch.

Fair enough :-). I gave it a try and made the frame size in milliseconds a
compile-time option (i.e., adding some #defines). Both 20ms and 10ms seem to
work flawlessly so far.

Concerning the sampling frequency, the Skype API states that connecting
through the API will only support 16kHz anyway, even if the call itself uses
24kHz, so there is no point in changing the sampling frequency in
mod_skypopen.

Nevertheless, after having made the changes to support 10ms frame size, I
figured out that FreeSWITCH will in fact happily convert between 20ms and
10ms frame size if needed by using a write buffer. So, strictly speaking, my
patch would not be necessary. As I understand it, however, using 10ms
instead of 20ms should reduce the total latency by up to 10ms, so there
might still be some justification to using 10ms.

So, to summarize, I got mod_skypopen to work with 10ms, but the only benefit
currently seems to be that it could reduce the total latency a bit. As such
I am not sure that the patch is of general interest, but if anyone would
like to give it a try or finds it useful for other reasons I would be happy
to provide a patch.

Regards,

Roman