[Freeswitch-users] TTS Related (Freeswitch, Asterisk, Solaris)

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 03:32:35 PST 2010

Hello All,

I have a whole bunch of questions regarding the TTS functionality in
FreeSWITCH and Just Generally about Freeswitch on a Sparc based Solaris
Platform and then the combo of the two, whether FreeSWITCH can be built on a
Sparc based Solaris platform when compiled with a "reasonably" good TTS
module be it Cepstral, FLite OR NeoSpeech etc?

1) Can anyone reflect on any experience they might have had in terms of the
performance difference between TTS on Asterisk (let's say Asterisk 1.8) and
FreeSWITCH? Is one better than the other?
2) Can One or the other or both be compiled successfully on a Sparc based
Solaris platform?
3) Would it benefit if I was to use a dedicated box for TTS and throw calls
to that box for TTS processing and send back media the way it came after the
sound files are generated from the TTS-process?
4) Please note that the quality of the Translation doesn't need to be
impeccable or mimic human speech. It just needs to be understandable enough
esp. over mobile phones. The more complex part about it is, that the user
directory can/will have names from all sorts of ethnicities/nationalities
which may mess up a lot of these TTS engines. So what is the best approach
there in this mixed environment
5) Does the OpenMRCP play any part in any of this? Would I benefit with
that?

I think this is the crux of my concerns. Any ideas and/or suggestions to
kick off the discussion would be very very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
RR