[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch as STUN server?

GillesToo codecomplete at free.fr
Wed Nov 3 08:15:58 PDT 2010

Hello

To solve the issue of opening UDP ports dynamically on the firewall that
protects a remote SIP client located elsewhere on the Net, the most used
solution is to have the client use STUN to open UDP ports, learn its public
IP address, and then re-use those UDP ports to register with the IP PBX and
let SIP/RTP packets in through the firewall. While not actively handing
calls, STUN-capable SIP clients send keep-alive datagrams regularly to keep
the UDP ports open on their firewall.

Unfortunately, symmetric NAT firewalls don't allow re-using UDP ports to
work with another host.

So I was wondering if Freeswitch could run as STUN server or if someone knew
of a good open-source STUN server that I could install on the same host as
the Freeswitch server?

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3580/ippbxstun.png

Would this solve the issue? If not, I guess the alternatives are trying
UPnP, NAT-PMP, or IAX, and if all else fails, running OpenVPN and configure
both end-points to pass all SIP/RTP packets through this TCP tunnel.

Thank you for any feedback.