[Freeswitch-users] [Out of curiosity] Why not use a voice modem for FXO?

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Wed May 26 14:07:10 PDT 2010

It all depends, FXO is never truly reliable with all the disconnect
supervision / hangup detection woes.
A FXO card works as well as it can but traditionally requires an
echo canceler if you want quality that
will not draw complaints from your best QA testers, your family for instance
who expect identical
quality to the PSTN.  The Sangoma cards for instance have this.

The good thing about an ATA is that it's self-contained and translates
everything into SIP for you when
you don't have room for hardware.

It's not worth cutting corners on telephone quality when, in the end, you
will replace it once you get enough
complaints.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM, GillesToo <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:

> Anthony Minessale wrote:
> > Even if you get it working the reward is not worth the effort. You would
> > experience a lot of echo and other problems
>
> I read somewhere that the reason for those problems people often have with
> X100P cards (such as echo or bad far-end disconnect supervision) is that
> most of them have they use the Silicon Labs DAA chips Si3012/Si3035 which
> is
> only good for use in countries that use the FCC standard; Countries that
> use
> the CTR21 standard (Europe, and others) require the Si3014/Si3034 chips,
> which support global line standards.
>

> Anthony Minessale wrote:
> > ... and the time you spent working on it would be better spent doing
> > something more meaningful and using the money you received to buy a real
> > TDM card or better still, a FXO->SIP ATA.
>
> I thought TDM cards were a better solution to connect an IP PBX to a
> landline. Why would you recommend an FXO-SIP ATA instead? And which
> brand/model of ATA is recommended for use with Freeswitch?

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm