[Freeswitch-users] [Out of curiosity] Why not use a voice modem for FXO?

GillesToo codecomplete at free.fr
Wed May 26 06:59:07 PDT 2010

What do you mean?  Anything that is zaptel compatible will work with
OpenZAP/FreeTDM.  Even the cheap OpenVox single port FXO's.

Sorry: I mean that Zaptel doesn't work on softmodems, just Digium and
Digium-compatible telephony cards. I don't see why softmodems couldn't
handle the load of a single landline.

For instance, "U.S. Robotics USR5670 56Kbps PCI Bus (Plug & Play) Fax modem"
sells for $17:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104001
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104001

Or maybe the hardware out there is just too diverse that writing a driver
for this is a PITA?