[Freeswitch-users] Settings for maximum performance

Max Clark max.clark at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:06:13 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Kristian Kielhofner <kris at kriskinc.com> wrote:
>        ulimit -c unlimited
>        ulimit -d unlimited
>        ulimit -f unlimited
>        ulimit -i unlimited
>        ulimit -n 999999
>        ulimit -q unlimited
>        ulimit -u unlimited
>        ulimit -v unlimited
>        ulimit -x unlimited
>        ulimit -s 240
>        ulimit -l unlimited
>        ulimit -a

Okay, set and removed -waste from init script.

> - Disable all NAT/STUN/etc handling in your profiles.  Your FreeSWITCH
> instance is not behind NAT (you can still detect NAT from your
> endpoints)

So my sip profile now looks like this:

    <param name="rtp-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
    <param name="sip-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
    <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
    <param name="ext-sip-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
    <param name="stun-enabled" value="false"/>
    <param name="stun-auto-disable" value="true"/>

I didn't find anything in the sofia configuration for disabling nat
which is why I have the -nonat on startup now. Is there another option
I should be setting?

> - Check, check, double check your SIP profile settings.  Session
> timers?  Comfort noise?  TCP?  Do you need these?

Looking into these settings - what's sane for my usage?

> - Increase the maximum number of sessions and sessions per second in
> switch.conf.  Make sure the RTP port ranges "jive" with what your
> network expects.

How do I size sessions & sessions per second based on the machine cpu/ram?

> - Look at the timer test results when FreeSWITCH starts up.  Make sure
> its not working too hard just to maintain a timer.

Looking through the freeswitch.log file I do not see any output on
timers - should I be looking somewhere else?

> - Disable any unneeded modules in modules.conf.

Check

> - Don't use proxy_media.  You probably don't really want it.

I have proxy_media because we want to keep the RTP streams through our
boxes (topology hiding), we were looking for better t.38 handling, we
don't want to transcode, and it seemed okay to let the endpoints
negotiate g.711 or g.729 on their own.

> - Use as many SIP profiles as you can (I believe each SIP profile runs
> in its own thread).

This one is tough, we'll take another look at it.

> - Make sure APIC, MSI/MSI-X, etc are all working.  Make sure you've
> got decent NICs and drivers loaded.

I'm assuming that Dell PowerEdge servers aren't going to be an issue.

> - Email consulting at freeswitch.org :)

Trying to knock out all the "easy" stuff first.

Thank you very much for the pointers.

-Max