[Freeswitch-users] Open source softphone that can handle g729

Brian West brian at freeswitch.org
Sun Mar 21 16:57:15 PDT 2010

On Mar 21, 2010, at 5:05 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

>> sip communicator is crap. Its trying to do way too much and does not
>> a single thing very well at all.
>
> Well, that's a bit vague. Maybe if you've had/have specific issues with
> it, you could drop us a note so that we could fix them.

Overall UI behavior is not well tested.  Too many options, too many clicks to actually get to what you want to do.  Video with H264 doesn't work so well from SIP-Communicator to SIP-Communicator as recent as last weeks build.  I'm pretty sure my expectations are higher then most people's as I find bugs in everything I get my hands on.  I usually give up at around two or three bugs.  I understand you're open source as are we and thats hard work.  I'm fairly critical of everything so you can ignore me most of the time.

> In any case the project has improved a lot during the last years, and
> even months so you might want to give it another try one of these days.

See comment above, Not sure what was going on or what was wrong... it just didn't work as expected or like EyeBeam or X-lite does.

>> If they have G729 its not legal to use.
>
> Yes we do have it, and it was implemented as a part of our participation
> in GSoC 2009. People can use it perfectly legally as long as they buy
> the corresponding licenses (just as with any other client).

You're facilitating infringement.  Nobody can buy a license legally for a hand full of channels.

> Currently use of the codec is disabled by default and whoever needs it
> has to enable it in the code, after acquiring the necessary license.

Like they really go get a license, where are they going to do this for one channel?