[Freeswitch-users] Open source softphone that can handle g729

Emil Ivov emcho at sip-communicator.org
Sun Mar 21 03:05:46 PDT 2010

> sip communicator is crap. Its trying to do way too much and does not
> a single thing very well at all.

Well, that's a bit vague. Maybe if you've had/have specific issues with
it, you could drop us a note so that we could fix them.

In any case the project has improved a lot during the last years, and
even months so you might want to give it another try one of these days.

> If they have G729 its not legal to use.

Yes we do have it, and it was implemented as a part of our participation
in GSoC 2009. People can use it perfectly legally as long as they buy
the corresponding licenses (just as with any other client).

Currently use of the codec is disabled by default and whoever needs it
has to enable it in the code, after acquiring the necessary license.

Cheers,
Emil