[Freeswitch-users] Newbie Questions

Justin B Newman justin at ejtown.org
Fri Mar 19 12:17:09 PDT 2010

> larger customer deployments. If we want to create a trunk to an ITSP and a
> trunk to an internal PBX, would we use the external gateway XML files for
> both? We don’t plan to point any internal phones to the FreeSwitch box
> (we’re using sipX as an internal PBX).

The "internal" and "external" monikers are arbitrary names given to
two SIP profiles.  It's completely possible to run a FreeSWITCH box
with a single profile, named internal, external, or general, or
whatever.  The samples are provided and so-labelled because one of the
biggest problems new users have with PBXs is distinguishing inbound
and outbound calls.  If an inbound call somehow gets into an outbound
dialplan, you can end up with a situation where someone starts using
your PBX to make calls, without your consent.

FreeSWITCH, by permitting association of ports and/or IP addresses
with specific SIP profiles makes it trivial to keep these calls
completely segregated, making it a little harder to do "stupid"
things.

-jbn