[Freeswitch-users] Virtualized FreeSWITCH

Brent Paddon brent at overthewire.com.au
Tue Mar 2 22:19:35 PST 2010

I suspect you would be better off with some virtualization platform more
like OpenVZ ('containers' rather than VM's) - and probably without any
hardware
installed (ie SIP to SIP - leave the gateways to a different part of the
network).

We've run some Asterisk instances in Proxmox (
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page) and while it's early days, it looks
pretty
promising.

Brent

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>wrote:

> On 3 March 2010 16:04, Rob Forman <rob4manhere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is anyone running FreeSWITCH virtualized (xen or vmware) in
> > production?  I saw ec2 and xen mentioned a few places.  If so, are
> > there tips or tricks for handle timer issues which affect virtual
> > machines in general, such as recommended divider or clocksource
> > settings?  I'm seeing funny timing issues while testing with audio
> > recording and playback that speed up or slow down.
>
> I tried tdm400+xen DOM0+asterisk years ago, on a single processor
> machine but gave up. zttest returned good results, but analogue
> quality has intermittently very poor quality and it made telephone
> conversations difficult to understand. Especially a problem when
> hourly cron jobs would start on all VMs at exactly the same time, but
> was a problem at other times too. Plus the fact people who used the
> phone more often then me didn't report the problem, so I thought it
> was fine.
>
> Plus the general fact I didn't really like the idea of running
> Asterisk on DOM0, and running it on DOMU seemed to imply even more
> overheard, as DOM0 would have to process the interrupts and pass them
> to the DOMU.
>
> Unfortunately I don't remember what scheduler I used, maybe sedf?
>
> I suspect a multi-processor system would be a lot better suited for
> the task. Also might be OK if you don't use zaptel hardware... I seem
> to remember these cards generate a huge number of interrupts.
>
> While this was with Asterisk, I suspect my results were not specific
> to Asterisk in anyway.
> --
> Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>

Brent Paddon

Director | Over the Wire Pty Ltd brent.paddon at overthewire.com.au |
www.overthewire.com.au
Phone: 07 3847 9292 | Fax: 07 3847 9696 | Mobile: 0400 2400 54