[Freeswitch-users] Understanding mod_shout "licensing"

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Jun 23 09:33:05 PDT 2010

On 06/23/2010 11:51 PM, Milena wrote:
> Hello Tony,
>
>     The G729 plugin has a license function. Why wouldn't something like
>     MP3? What is the benefit to FS of accepting a plugin from anyone that
>     is operating without proper licensing from a copyright or patent
>     holder?
>
> from the same website (http://mp3licensing.com/help/index.html#4):
> "However, no license is needed for private, non-commercial activities
> (e.g., home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a
> personal music library), not generating revenue or other consideration
> of any kind or for entities with associated annual gross revenue less
> than US$ 100 000.00."
>
> Not every use of mp3 requires licensing, so if _we_ want to use
> freeswitch with commercial purposes, they make it possible to use
> mod_shout but it is up to _us_ to make sure we are not going against
> the laws. Just the same way stores sell you a CD/DVD and it is up to
> you if you're going to reproduce/redistribute the author's music for
> non-personal uses without his permission.

The part you quoted there relates to content licencing, not
hardware/software licencing. The whole issue of content licencing seems
vague on that site. What constitutes distribution? Does mailing people
their voice mails converted to MP3 count as distribution?

It seems that every single copy of hardware and software must be
licenced, and the low volume charges are clearly listed, as is the
minimum of $15,000 per annum.

Steve