[Freeswitch-users] FS as Media Gateway Only

Code Ghar codeghar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 14:31:34 PDT 2010

I haven't used bypass-media extensively, either. So I am also interested in
knowing if it would introduce re-invite. I know several carriers, using some
older SIP implementations or for other reasons, do not support re-invite. In
a perfect world we would use bypass-media on the ingress and egress FS-SIP
servers, without introducing re-invite, and handle media using intermediate
FS-RTP servers.

Aside from the media, if we use, say two FS-SIP servers, then all FS-RTP
servers can do load balance when doing egress. In this way we only need two
signaling IPs for all kinds of customers and carriers and don't have to
differentiate between ingress-only and egress-only FS-SIP servers. Each
FS-SIP is ingress and egress while all FS-RTP look only like media IPs to
all customers and carriers. Of course, I would like to get consensus
confirmation from experienced users that bypass-media does not introduce
re-invite.

We could use a SIP Proxy, as advised by PJ, but if a bunch of FS servers
could do that same job that would be awesome, too.