[Freeswitch-users] BV32/G722 transcoding issue

Robert Hadley robert.hadley at teotech.com
Mon Jul 26 14:32:52 PDT 2010

Hello,

I might be having a transcoding issue.

I am calling in from a Bria softphone that is configured to support BV32,
722, Speex wideband, and g711u to Voicemail (or IVR or Directory).

My Freeswitch is configured to allow:
global_codec_prefs=H263-1998,speex at 8000h@20i,speex at 16000h@20i,speex at 32000h@2
0i,G7221 at 32000h,G7221 at 16000h,G722,PCMU,GSM,BV16,BV32

So naturally Freeswitch picks BV32.  Then it would pick G722, SPEEX16, and
PCMU as the codes are removed from the softphone.

The voicemail phrases that Freeswitch plays are clipped when the BV32 and
G722 codes are used to connect with the softphone.  Speex16 and PCMU sound
okay.  The voicemail messages .wav file sounds okay when it plays regardless
of the codec.  By clipped I mean parts of words are missing.  "Pressed"
sounds like 'ess' and "Last name" sounds like 'ast name'.

Here is a pastebin to the log file:  http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/13533

As a workaround I forced Freeswitch to use Speex16 by setting codec_string
in the dialplan for the Voicemail, IVR, and Directory.  Is there something
else I should try or should this transcoding issue be reported on JIRA and
what information would be most useful?

Thanks,

Robert