[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH as an SBC

Code Ghar codeghar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 07:04:51 PDT 2010

FreeSWITCH, since it is a B2BUA, can be deployed as an SBC (Session Border
Controller). I understand that SBC itself is a fairly complicated product
and needs to be more security oriented rather than application oriented. For
this reason many proprietary SBCs are sold and deployed all over the world.
However, most of the things they claim accomplish can already be done in FS,
such as SIP header or SDP manipulation/normalization, transcoding, hide
topology, limit sessions and calls, etc. This thread is mainly to discuss
some of the non-obvious things which other SBCs might have implemented and
users would like to replicate using FS.

A couple days ago I was working with a carrier which said they ignore
OPTIONS and REGISTER packets. Is there somehow we can do the same in FS?
This would be beneficial to carrier-type users who only do wholesale traffic
from trusted IPs and do not want to mix user registration in it. I don't
know why they would ignore OPTIONS. The first solution that comes to my mind
is to block all IPs and allow only trusted IPs. This cuts down on the
REGISTER attempts from untrusted IPs, but does not deal with the OPTIONS (or
even REGISTER) packets from trusted IPs.

A proprietary SBC my company is evaluating these days, the name of the
provider or the product I would prefer not to mention, has the ability to
forward REGISTER packets. A few days ago I saw in the FS mailing list
archive (http://old.nabble.com/FreeSWITCH-as-pure-SIP-proxy-td20096367.html)
that FS, being a B2BUA, does not simply forward REGISTER packets. Instead,
it consumes them by either deeming them to be valid and registering user or
rejecting them. From the standpoint of an SBC, it should simply be routing
the packet rather than consuming it; basically act as a proxy for REGISTER
packets only. Has anything changed?

Is there anything you guys have done, something non-obvious, that could be
used to implement FS as an SBC? Please share. Thanks.