[Freeswitch-users] Erlang Receive from FreeSWITCH mod_erlang_event

Andrew Thompson andrew at hijacked.us
Tue Jul 13 11:15:17 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:46:09AM -0500, David Swardstrom wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
> That is what I expected, but sometimes I am surprised, so thought I would ask.
>
> But, where do I put freeswitch.erl?
>
> I have looked at a bunch of Erlang material, and cannot find any discussion
> of a reasonable directory structure even in "getting started" material.
> Note: This is my very first Erlang project. But why doesn't this get
> any attention.
>
> Since this is a type of library, I would be inclined to put it with other
> Erlang libraries.
> I downloaded the OTP package so have the following directory (under Linux).
> /usr/local/lib/erlang/lib
>
> Should I create a new subdirectory for this and add another entry to the path?
>
> OpenACD put it with the OpenACD source and put it in the GIT environment,
> so I could put it with my source.
> But this does not seem right.
>
> If you come up with some reasonable answer that should be provided to others,
> may I suggest that you change the Wiki.

To be honest, I hadn't considered this question at all. I included
freeswitch.erl mainly as an example of how to use the API, and as a way
to abastract some of the low level annoyances of async message passing
when you want synchronous behaviour. I never really thought about
treating it as a system lib. The ESL libs don't seem to auto-install
themselves (the wiki is unclear on that though).

I could easily compile freeswitch.erl into a beam and install the src
and beam into /usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/freeswitch-1.0 or whatever, I
suppose, but is that even what people want? I'm hesitant to pollute the
erlang lib directory with my own stuff. Also, how do we do versioning?
When building from git all we get is 1.0.head or whatever. Should I just
override any installed version with a new one?

Anyone have any thoughts? (Assuming anyone actually *uses*
freeswitch.erl besides myself).

Andrew