[Freeswitch-users] SS7 & MGCP support

Wasim Baig wasim at convergence.pk
Sun Jan 31 21:01:26 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Abid Saleem <abid_freeswitch at live.com>wrote:

> ·         Since it is a softswitch also, does it support SS7, MGCP and
> Megaco protocols to control media gateways?

I remember back in the day when FS was a glimmer in tony's eye and we had a
mostly working (but not stable) MGCP UA mode with it ... but then I don't
think any more work was done it. My requirement for it has phased away also,
although if anyone is really interested I'm sure we could come up with a
bounty for this, as MGCP is fairly basic.

The only option you have for SS7 is a commercial implementation from
Sangoma. No open source implementation for SS7 or SIGTRAN exist as of now,
although there are a couple of rumors in the air about diverse efforts.

> ·         Does it support call shops business model?

Technically yes, but the logic and billing etc is all up to you, so out of
the box, is it a preconfigured call shop system, no. Can it be used for one,
certainly. Will you have to work a bit for it, most cetainly, yes.

> ·         How to add new SIP user accounts into it that can be used to
> register to it. I know one way is to copy and paste          1000.xml file
> and edit it in the conf/directory folder. What is the optimal way to do this
> task?

You can use a DB for this as well and have the XML generated or used inline.
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_xml_curl

> o   Is there any GUI available. If yes how can I make it work and private
> label it.?

There are a couple of efforts. Read the wiki. You could use ASTPP with
reseller option to white label it.

--
wasim h. baig | principal consultant | convergence pk | +92 300 8508070 |
peace be upon you ...