[Freeswitch-users] Strategies for reliably detecting nat on B-leg?

Bill W freeswitch at aastral.net
Wed Jan 27 09:31:11 PST 2010

Hey All,

I know FreeSWITCH has the agressive-nat-detection parameter for sofia
configs which will detect NAT on an incoming call.  So we know if the
A-leg is natted.  The question is, are there any reliable ways to detect
nat at the destination before bridging that call?

One could assume that if the destination is a gateway, then it would be
okay to bypass-media.

Also, one could check the sofia registry and assume that if an endpoint
is registered to FreeSWITCH that it is NATted and therefore no point in
trying to bypass media.

But neither of these options seems 100% reliable.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks!
Bill W.