[Freeswitch-users] How to provide dynamic directory information?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Mon Jan 11 16:36:03 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Mike van Lammeren <mike at van.lammeren.net>wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to be able to have FreeSWITCH check a database for authorization,
> every time a user registers. There are some great examples on the wiki,
> which use either MOD_XML_CURL or Lua to dynamically provide a dialplan, but
> I cannot find an example for providing a directory.
>
> I am developing an application that will have thousands of users, and will
> run on multiple FreeSWITCH servers behind a load balancer. Ideally,
> FreeSWITCH would only look-up directory information, specifically, username
> and password, whenever a user attempts to connect. The directory information
> will be changing regularly, as users are added or removed from the system.
>
> Is this possible with FreeSWITCH? Or can only dialplan information be
> provided dynamically?
>
> I've written a script in Lua that provides the XML data, such as that found
> in the example /freeswitch/conf/directory/default/ folders, and I try to
> call it with this bit of XML in /freeswitch/conf/directory/default.xml:
>
> <groups>
> <group name="default">
> <users>
>  <param name="xml-handler-script" value="/directory.lua"/>
> <param name="xml-handler-bindings" value="users"/>
>  </users>
> </groups>
>
> Is this the right approach? Am I going about this the right way?

You can bind "directory" as well as "dialplan" and a few others. I
personally don't use xml_curl in production but for kicks I tried to learn
it and I documented some of my journey on my personal blog. (
http://telecommusings.blogspot.com/)

xml_curl was designed to scale and be applied in your type of scenario.
Raymond (intralanman on IRC) has played with it quite a bit as have a number
of others.
-MC