[Freeswitch-users] Kernel timer warning with CentOS 5.4

Bruce Hopkins jbrucehopkins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 07:37:51 PST 2010

Hi,

I wonder if anyone would be able to advise please:

When I build FreeSWITCH on yum updated CentOS 5.4, I get a warning when I
start FreeSWITCH that

"Abnormally large timer gap detected"
"Do you have your kernel timer set to greater than 1kHz?  You may experience
audio problems".

I get no such warning if I build on CentOS 5.3, and the test timings it
measures on starting FreeSWITCH do look lower.  All I was doing to upgrade
to Centos5.4 was a yum update on the 5.3 build.

I guess the warning comes from here:
http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/browse/~raw,r=16409/FreeSWITCH/src/switch_time.c

This is all on pretty low spec hardware - a couple of different Dell
optiplex p4's I use for testing.

Does anyone happen to know if I should just stick to Cent)S 5.3, or use 5.4
and not worry about the warnings, or if there is something I can do to fix
the problem it is warning about.  Perhaps it is just that I shouldn't use
such crummy hardware?!

Many thanks in advance
Bruce