[Freeswitch-users] Retrieving voicemail without entering user ID (extension)

Brian May brian at microcomaustralia.com.au
Thu Feb 25 01:07:27 PST 2010

On 25 February 2010 14:08, Lars Zeb <larclap at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I used the extension below, but I think that Brian said it was too insecure.
> Being a total beginner, I removed the condition.

Too insecure for what? I think it really depends on the installation,
what the phone are for, where the phones are positioned, who has
access, etc.

I could imagine scenarios where being able to "walk up to anyone's
phone and retrieve their VM w/out authentication" might be considered
a feature. e.g. home office. At my home, under my asterisk setup, it
always seems to be up to me to delete the messages, because others
consider it too complicated to log in. Generally people are use to
being able to walk up to an answering machine, push a button, and
retrieve messages without any authentication.

Then again, making this the default configuration would be a bad idea.
People need to understand the consequences first.

Oh, just a minor nitpick, or possibly an opportunity for me to learn
<grin>. I see near the top that there is an export immediately after
the set. Is the set really needed? I thought the export would override
this? Why is export needed?
--
Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>