[Freeswitch-users] Mod_Conference capacity....

Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil lawwton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 15:24:13 PST 2010

One thing that seems to help a lot is to have a "Success Stories"
page. A lot of the previous emails emphasize the point of benchmarking
FS and hitting it hard with a suite of tools available to do just
that. That all makes sense. The problem is that for a lot of
newcomers, benchmarking doesn't really make a lot of sense right away.
In more details ... the process would be something like this:

a) I need to use a system that's able to do certain things for a
conference for instance (happens to be my case). It needs to be
flexible and do a bunch of things.

b) FS seems like the best candidate out there "today".

c) Get a whatever server and install FS on it. Nice the thing runs, it
seems flexible, good performance, I can't believe my own eyes. Good
product.

d) Let me build an application around it now. Here is an ESL, WEB API,
cool. The sky is the limit.

e) Application is now built.

f) Let's benchmark ... Ok, let me now buy what I think the best server
will be and it'll cost $2000.00.

g) FS is amazing, I am getting these many concurrent calls, active
sessions, things are great for this X system that I bought. I will
scale up and get 5 more of the same type of server.

Now the question is, was that the right choice to make? Having access
to a place where others post their results help you make a better
determination on what kind of platforms to run your system on. Someone
with whom I've had a nice exchange of words in the past threw
something out there that was really helpful ... "Modern machine with
dual core, 64 bit for best results"; if my memory serves me right.
This is the kind of information that would be needed to then go out
and buy the server/s and then do the actual benchmarking and correctly
engineer/architect the platform. If I see that some of the success
stories are using Servers X with Foo CPU/s and bar MEM, then that
would be for me a good indication of the direction or areas to
investigate, go into.

If I then want top of the line tuning, excellent benchmarking and many
more things, yeah having the commercial support and having to pay for
it it's def. not a problem. After all a lot of work and hours go into
developing the product and we are getting it free. That part is
perfectly understood and supported as well as the development of some
more specific features.

Alfredo