[Freeswitch-users] Seeking Advice on SIP Phones like Aastra

teldev ustcorporation at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 00:01:47 PST 2010

Hello Mike,

Last post lost all formatting when I used Nabble, this is readable now.

"Can you post for all to see some idea of how these applications work,
lanagages used, some samples so we can see if we can get some interest in
this?"

"I am not sure the phone gui has much to do with FreeSWITCH at all, other
than pulling a little data from the databases (again, ODBC highly
recommended)"

-->  The idea would be to create a phone GUI on Aastra 6739i that would
enable the touchscreen to do something like what is shown in these demos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZDHibW1gUs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58TPNCOTZI

Perform FreeSWITCH actions: answer calls, place calls, setup conferences/add
participants, etc.
Display FreeSWITCH states: voice mail waiting count, extensions that are
online/offline, call log, etc.
Introduce new actions: dial By name directory with pictures, visual setup of
conferences, etc.

Since the Aastra 6739i, SNOM 870, and some others have built-in XML browsers
it seems like they could be programmed to interact well with FreeSWITCH and
various third party systems such as online feeds like weather reports, news,
stock prices.  Aastra is taking the IPhone approach of letting developers
create the apps.  They even have a similar slogan "There's an App for That"
versus Apple's "There's an app for just about anything".

http://www.ucstrategies.com/unified-communications-expert-views/aastra-phone-theres-an-app-for-that.aspx

I don't know to what extent FreeSWITCH interacts with this phone out of the
box, it reportedly works well with Asterisk though.  I'm sure FS will likely
understand certain button presses like hold, mute, speaker, transfer, etc.
I will be ordering one within a few days.

A few quesions for the FS community:

Does this project have merit and fulfill a need?  (I have yet to use FS as a
PBX)

Can anyone shed some light on what features on the phone will work and what
I've mentioned will require custom development?

Any ideas on how to architect an integration that would leverage what FS
already does?  Currently our IVR work uses Javascript/SpiderMonkey to call
our own web service for database reads/writes.  For this project, we'd need
to interact more directly with FS and learn more about it's internals.