[Freeswitch-users] Seeking Advice on SIP Phones like Aastra 6739i or Snom 870 that have good interoperability with FreeSWITCH

Tim St. Pierre tim at communicatefreely.net
Thu Feb 4 07:05:37 PST 2010

Hi Darren,

While I can't vouch for the 6739i yet, I have been doing all of my FS development with Aastra
phones.  I had a 57i connected up, and it worked just fine.  I could use the wideband codecs, BLFs
all worked correctly, I have intercom and distinctive ring working properly too.

As far as the XML features are concerned, these are all done outside of Freeswitch.  I have built
some simple applications that use the XML browser for or own network, and it was pretty straight
forward.  The phone interacts with our web server, that in turn manipulates the database used for
call handling and other parameters.  In some cases, the php script on the web server fires events to
the switch to initiate calls, or do some other call handling.

Right now, our production system is Asterisk, but I'm trying to migrate everything to freeswitch.
As long as everything is in a database, it's pretty easy to make some great features.  In many ways,
I have found freeswitch easier to integrate with.  You may want to enable core odbc, it opens up a
lot, since you can do a DB query to find out what voicemail messages a user has, or what calls are
active, etc.  I find it a lot easier to interact with than something like an event socket, and it
clusters better.

I ended up not using any of the Aastra supplied scripts, since they are very specific to a single
office Asterisk setup.  You will have to build your own for freeswitch, but they are easy to write.
 The Aastra php classes are still useful functions, just not their pre-built voicemail and other
Asterisk feature tools.

Good luck!

- -Tim