[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH SBC Setup (HA mode)

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 21:00:06 MSK 2010

DRBD is a very interesting and very performing way to replicate a
block device between two or more machine, usally in an active-passive
way. And is very HA aware.

In classic configuration, you have two machines that control each
other state via heartbeat, and a floating IP address that is assigned
to the "active" machine (in addition to the "real" IP address).

The "active" machine is accessed from the HA application through the
floating IP.

The "passive" machine is there idle, but ready to take over in case
the "active" goes down (for failure or maintenance). In that case the
"passive" machine automatically becomes the "active", eg: gets the
floating IP.

The only drawback I can see in this setup (DRBD+nativesqlite instead
of odbc) is that if the FS instance or the machine itself crashes very
badly, maybe will trash the db, and because the sqlite db is
replicated at filesystem level via DRDB to the other machine, you'll
end up with a trashed sqlite db on the "new active" machine too.

Having instead a logic SQL replica (mysql, postgres, whatever) between
the two machines, spares you this possible point of failure.

Also, if you use another heartbeat and another floating IP address
dedicated to the odbc database access, you get HA database too
(meaning: you can do an upgrade of the database engine on the "active"
FS machine, because you moved only the floating IP of the dabase
access to the other machine).

-giovanni

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Sam <u2nsam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can use Sqlite replication in between 2 instances by sqlite3_update_hook.
>
> Regds
> Sam
>
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Avi Marcus <Avi at amarcus.com> wrote:
>>
>> The other option for failover I was considering is the default sqlite -
>> set up a job to rsync it to/from the slave constantly.
>> Perhaps even throw that into a ramdisk, if that makes a difference (the
>> kernal may be caching it anyway).
>> -Avi
>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Ghulam Mustafa <mustafa.pk at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> i am trying to setup FreeSWITCH as a SBC in ha mode; for this purpose i
>>> have setup two FS boxes(identical) in HA mode using heartbeat, mysql as odbc
>>> backend and enabled track-calls in both sip profiles. Everything is working
>>> as expected i.e sip sessions successfully recovered during failover in both
>>> directions.
>>> i am just curious and would like to know should i go for odbc or is it
>>> possible to avoid odbc and use drbd for /opt/switch/db directory to keep .db
>>> files in sync between two fs boxes. is it likely to work?
>>> another question is related to performance when track-calls is enabled,
>>> we are supposed to handle ~300 sip concurrent calls around the clock in
>>> proxy_media mode, coming from our sip provider (on external profile) and
>>> forwarding to our call-center server (configured as internal sip gateway),
>>> we have plenty of good hardware (quad-core Xeon servers with 8Gigs ram), is
>>> it good to go :) or can raise alarms?
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>> --
>>> Ghulam Mustafa