[Freeswitch-users] Dropping the Subject: header

Kane, Michael (mkane02) mkane02 at harris.com
Thu Dec 23 19:27:39 MSK 2010

Thanks Steve.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: freeswitch-users-bounces at lists.freeswitch.org [mailto:freeswitch-users-bounces at lists.freeswitch.org] On Behalf Of Steven Ayre
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:46 AM
To: FreeSWITCH Users Help
Subject: Re: [Freeswitch-users] Dropping the Subject: header

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3427.txt
The RFC recognises X- has been used in other protocols (eg SMTP) and
says prefix P- should be used for SIP. In practice both P- and X- are
used.

The reason is that if you are setting a custom header, it avoids
conflicts if they revise the SIP specification in future (eg for
SIPv3) and add a header with the same name as yours but a different
purpose.

See also:
http://blogs.voxeo.com/speakingofstandards/2008/05/06/what-is-a-p-header-in-sip-and-whyhow-would-you-use-one/
http://www.the-asterisk-book.com/unstable/applikationen-sipaddheader.html

Note that the X-header functionality is specifically coded within the
Sofia-SIP library:
http://sofia-sip.sourceforge.net/refdocs/sip/group__sip__header__x.html
To handle custom headers not prefixed with X- or P- would involve
considerable rewriting of the library to expose the ability. Since the
library is written by Nokia that would result in a large difference
between the FS and upstream versions, making it hard to maintain.

Regards,
Steve