[Freeswitch-users] Scale UP Freeswitch

Bernhard Suttner bernhard.suttner at winet.ch
Mon Dec 13 16:40:12 MSK 2010

OpenSIPS / Kamailio / OpenSER is just a SIP Proxy. Proxy nearly in the same way than a HTTP proxy. It will normally just forward messages from A to B. OpenSIPS could also be used as a registrar. OpenSIPS does NEVER handle media- this task could be done within a scenario with mediaproxy/rtpproxy.

FreeSWITCH with bypass_media enabled does not handle media but does still handle all the SIP requests. Simple example:

OpenSIPS could forward a REGISTER to another peer without a check if the user does exists.
FreeSWITCH would handle the REGISTER and all the other SIP messages.