[Freeswitch-users] Early Media troubles

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 14:15:14 PDT 2010

ringback has nothing to do with playback, it's only relevant to bridge.
trying to call playback before you answer will implicitly create a pre_answer

Do this in your dialplan:

playback file1
sleep 10000
answer
playback file2

if you expect the playback to loop endlessly it would take more steps,
the easiest of which would be to make a 10 second audio file and use:

playback file1
answer
playback file2

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Jock McKechnie
<jock.mckechnie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good arvo, all;
> I'm battling with a problem in making Early Media play and getting nowhere.
> I've searched the wiki, forums and the web in general without anything that
> seems to help. This suggests to me that I'm either doing something
> stupendously stupid, or there's a very, very odd thing going on here.
> I've been tasked with something that should be fairly simple:
> Accept an inbound call
> Play a specific audio file as early media
> Pickup the call after a certain time interval
> Play another audio file into the off-hook channel
> Disconnect the call.
> Sounds simple. My extension looks like so:
>    <extension name="Inbound">
>       <condition field="destination_number" expression="^\+12125551212$">
>           <action application="pre_answer"/>
>           <action application="set"
> data="ringback=/usr/local/freeswitch/sounds/early-media.wav"/>
> <!--          <action application="set" data="ringback=%(2000, 4000, 440.0,
> 480.0)"/> -->
>           <action application="sleep" data="10000"/>
>           <action application="answer"/>
>           <action application="playback"
> data="/usr/local/freeswitch/sounds/playback"/>
>           <action application="hangup" data="16"/>
>       </condition>
>    </extension>
> (Replace the 212 number with a real inbound DID which is being routed from
> Verizon (via SIP) to this FreeSWITCH machine)
> The call is received, a 183 is sent by FreeSWITCH (pre_answer), it waits the
> 10 seconds, picks up the call and plays the playback.PCMU file... but
> there's no early media. I've tcpdumped on the FS machine and verified it
> definitely is /not/ sending out RTP until the call 200 OKs and the Playback
> begins.
> As you can see, I've also attempted to replace the ringback= to a cadence
> instead of a WAV file, just to ensure it isn't unhappy with the WAV format,
> with the same results.
> Boy, I'd sure love it if someone could point out what potentially brain
> damaged thing I'm doing (assuming it's nothing arcane).
> My thanks to all;
>  - Jock

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/