[Freeswitch-users] Early Media troubles

Jock McKechnie jock.mckechnie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 11:49:28 PDT 2010

Good arvo, all;

I'm battling with a problem in making Early Media play and getting nowhere.
I've searched the wiki, forums and the web in general without anything that
seems to help. This suggests to me that I'm either doing something
stupendously stupid, or there's a very, very odd thing going on here.

I've been tasked with something that should be fairly simple:
Accept an inbound call
Play a specific audio file as early media
Pickup the call after a certain time interval
Play another audio file into the off-hook channel
Disconnect the call.

Sounds simple. My extension looks like so:
   <extension name="Inbound">
      <condition field="destination_number" expression="^\+12125551212$">
          <action application="pre_answer"/>
          <action application="set"
data="ringback=/usr/local/freeswitch/sounds/early-media.wav"/>
<!--          <action application="set" data="ringback=%(2000, 4000, 440.0,
480.0)"/> -->
          <action application="sleep" data="10000"/>
          <action application="answer"/>
          <action application="playback"
data="/usr/local/freeswitch/sounds/playback"/>
          <action application="hangup" data="16"/>
      </condition>
   </extension>
(Replace the 212 number with a real inbound DID which is being routed from
Verizon (via SIP) to this FreeSWITCH machine)

The call is received, a 183 is sent by FreeSWITCH (pre_answer), it waits the
10 seconds, picks up the call and plays the playback.PCMU file... but
there's no early media. I've tcpdumped on the FS machine and verified it
definitely is /not/ sending out RTP until the call 200 OKs and the Playback
begins.

As you can see, I've also attempted to replace the ringback= to a cadence
instead of a WAV file, just to ensure it isn't unhappy with the WAV format,
with the same results.

Boy, I'd sure love it if someone could point out what potentially brain
damaged thing I'm doing (assuming it's nothing arcane).

My thanks to all;
 - Jock