[Freeswitch-users] INCOMPATIBLE_DESTINATION

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 00:57:57 PDT 2010

Yes, G.729a and G.729b are incorrect and your device is at fault... only
other phones of the same type would probably recognise it without issue.

PCMA should be used in this case though.

RTP payload numbers are spread through multiple RFCs. Anything in the 96-127
range is dynamic and the codec is determined from the matching rtpmap line,
any of the static numbers don't need a rtpmap line to work. IANA oversees
assignment of the static numbers and they have the full list:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/rtp-parameters

As you can see 0=PCMU, 8=PCMA, and G.729 should use 18. Support of annex B
is specified in the fmtp parameter, not the codec name - e.g. "a=fmtp:18
annexb=no". Annex A never needs to be specified as it can be read normally
by plain G.729, so it's just up to the implementation on whether it wants to
save quality or cpu when encoding.

Do you have any other applications running which would also be using the RTP
port range? A call will fail if it tries to use a port that's already in
use, perhaps with that message. FS should avoid using ports it's already
using, but can't know about any other programs on the system.

-Steve