[Freeswitch-users] any disaster lurking in this over all plan?

Tim St. Pierre fs-list at communicatefreely.net
Thu Aug 26 20:50:02 PDT 2010

For what it's worth,

I have about 250 Aastra phones in the field, at least of every model.  I haven't had any issues with
them (except the wireless ones).

They seem to work just fine with Freeswitch.

The features I have working are:

Calls (in and out)
Distinctive ringing and auto-answer
Blind and attended transfer
Message waiting indicator
Busy lamps with ringing and in-use status

All our endpoints our out across the open internet, not in a tidy office setup like you have, so I
think yours will be easier.

Some things to be wary of:

How are you going to "roll-over" to the VoIP DID?  Most carriers I know of will let you put multiple
lines in a rollover group, but will they redirect to another carrier's DID when all the lines are
full?  It sounds good on paper to go low risk and stick with POTS lines, but I have found them to be
more trouble than they are worth.  Some sort of digital interface is a huge step up.  You also get
proper signaling, which is a bit limited on POTS.

When you start sending voice traffic across your DSL connection, make sure that you have some sort
of QoS mechanism in place.  I can't stress how important this is.  Your DSL connection will be a
bottleneck, so your router needs to ensure that all those little voice packets get out right away,
ahead of the big data packets.  If you don't, you will get choppy audio whenever someone sends an
e-mail with a big attachment.

Easy ways to do this in a small setup:
Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato flashed onto it and some rules set up to match voice traffic (IP range
and port seems to be more reliable than the L7 filters)

For DSL, I'm a really big fan of the Netopia 3300 series, like the 3346N-ENT for DSL.  It's a
combination ADSL2+ multimode modem, and a pretty decent router.  If you toggle on the prioritization
feature, it will make everything fit down the DSL link.  Since it knows what the line speed is, it
will always work without any adjustment.  It will also use the DSCP/TOS tags to prioritize, so you
don't have to configure anything.  These are about $150 here in Canada, and have a lot of features.

You will probably still stay up all weekend, especially if this is your first project, but it will
be worth it when you get everything working well.

Good luck!