[Freeswitch-users] Account selection

David Ponzone david.ponzone at ipeva.fr
Wed Aug 25 03:47:29 PDT 2010

Ken,

Well basically, in the TDM world, you usually order one or several
lines.
One analog line can't support DIDs (except in the US where they have/
used to have a such product).
Nowadays, as you know, ISDN is the right choice when you need DIDs.
Physically, a DID on ISDN is just that a different number (DNIS) is
sent in the called number field of the Q931 packet, as 4 digits or the
whole number, depending on the specific ISDN protocol used and on the
telco.

In the SIP world, there is only one protocol: SIP.
Even if sometimes you feel that there are different type of SIP
accounts, they are actually all the same.
You can have a SIP account allowing 1 call with one number (generally,
they don't allow to send a custom outbound caller-id).
But a SIP account can also be used to provide a SIP trunk allowing 200
calls and 2000 DIDs (on those, you can obviously send a custom
outbound caller-id, but it can still be restricted to be one of your
2000 DIDs, or not restricted. It depends on the kind of contract you
have with the carrier, wholesale vs business).
Account, trunk, what's the difference ?
Technically, there is none, but let's say a trunk is generally a SIP
account (but it can also be a raw SIP trunk without authentication)
with several DIDs.
If you only have one DID on the SIP account, it's not really
meaningful to call that a trunk.
On a SIP trunk, a DID is just sent as the dialed number, generally in
the INVITE To and/or Request-Line fields.
It's pretty much the same than ISDN.
The main differences are:
-in SIP, a DID is far more decorrelated from the physical media (you
can have a SIP account without any DID, so you won't be reachable)
-in SIP, a DID could be anything, not just a phone number, but because
most of the traffic comes from the PSTN and regular phones, we mainly
use digits at the moment.

So in SIP, when you have 6 SIP accounts, each other with a different
DID, you may replace that with one SIP account (SIP trunk) with the 6
DIDs routed on it by the carrier.
I think it's easier to manage.
Then in FreeSWITCH, as you won't be able to distinguish by the SIP
account receiving the call (you can bind a SIP account to a specific
context/dialplan in FS), you'll have to distinguish by the called-
number in a common dialplan, which is very easy.

I hope I did not confuse you more :)

David Ponzone  Direction Technique
email: david.ponzone at ipeva.fr
tel:      01 74 03 18 97
gsm:   06 66 98 76 34

Service Client IPeva
tel:      0811 46 26 26
www.ipeva.fr  -   www.ipeva-studio.com

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis
à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation ou
diffusion non autorisée est interdite. Tout message électronique est
susceptible d'altération. IPeva décline toute responsabilité au
titre de ce message s'il a été altéré, déformé ou falsifié. Si
vous n'êtes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire
immédiatement et d'avertir l'expéditeur.