[Freeswitch-users] Proxy Media and Codec Prefer

Henry Huang b_ball_henry at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 15 23:00:30 PDT 2010

Michael:

Since what version does this become a default behavior? I was using 1.0.5
and I had to use proxy_media=true for the A -> FS -> B to avoid g729 codec
priority issue. Let me explain:
A has codec priority as g711, g729
FS has codec priority as g711, g729(passthrough)
B has codec priority as g729 , then whatever esle

*Without* proxy media= true:
1. A will negotiate with FS about which codec to use, since they both have
g711 as the first priority, they will agree on using g711 to communicate.
2. Now FS will negotiate codec with B, and since B has g729 as priority, and
FS has g729(passthrough) available, they will agree on using g729 as the
codec.
3. Now the calls will bridge and drop right away since FS does not do codec
translation.

With proxy media = true
1. A will skip FS and negotiate codec with B directly. And they will use
whatever matches they can find, and this will leave FS not worrying about
codec translation at all.

please correct me if the above scenario has been changed in the newer FS.

Thanks,
Henry Huang
Unified Communication System R&D Project Manager
US: +1 (626) 606-3306
Chat Skype: unicsolution MSN: b_ball_henry at hotmail.com
Contact Me [image:
Linkedin]<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/henry-huang/1/654/578>[image: