[Freeswitch-users] Modems

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Aug 8 17:38:59 PDT 2010

  On 08/09/2010 01:46 AM, Ken Gillett wrote:
> I asked this before, but never got any response, so hope someone can help me this time.
>
> Is it possible to use a (USB) modem as a 'trunk' to and from the PSTN, i.e. be able to accept incoming PSTN calls and also make PSTN calls?
>
> I plan on installing FreeSwitch on a Mac and it would be really handy to be able to use Apple's USB modem in this way as otherwise there's no way to add such PSTN functionality on the Mac Mini.  Although my requirement is Mac based, I guess this question applies to any FreeSwitch installation.
>

> Ken G i l l e t t
People constantly ask this same question, but nobody wants to write the
drivers. It shouldn't be that hard. There are packages to use many
winmodems as modems on Linux machines. The DSP code is usually supplied
as a binary object, but the interface to the hardware is supplied as
source code. Modify that source, and you could turn it into, say, a
DAHDI driver that would hook the device into Asterisk, Callweaver or
Freeswitch.

Steve