[Freeswitch-users] mod_xml_cdr DNS

Justin B Newman justin at ejtown.org
Tue Apr 6 06:49:02 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Rob Forman <rob4manhere at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like something more appropriate for a load balancer, such as lvs
> (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/).
>
> DNS round robin also can't detect failure and stopping routing requests to
> the node, while a tool like lvs could.

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Nazim Aghabayov
<nazim.aghabayov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Agree, load balancer is better. It seems that libcurl doesn't respect DNS
> RR.

In this case, I'm primarily interested in failover.  Yes, a load
balancer might be more appropriate in the grand scheme of the world,
but because mod_xml_cdr retries a given URL upon failure, much of the
same result could be achieved with significantly less complexity if
round robin worked.

For my purposes, I've gone ahead and defined "url" multiple times;
mod_xml_cdr will try them one after the other.  I lose randomness, but
I can of course define that on a server-by-server basis.  Ugly, but
adding a load balancer to the mix seems like an unnecessary point of
failure for this use case.

Thanks for all your thoughts,

Yours,

-jbn