[Freeswitch-users] How to configure g729 pass though on Freeswitch

Frank Church vfclists at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 5 13:21:44 PDT 2010

On 5 April 2010 18:09, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
> Visit www.freeswitch.org, Click G729 at the top and buy some licenses.  Problem solved ;)  It supports the project and solves a problem all at the same time.

I am experimenting with Freeswitch for embedded bundled product
offered freely to a service provider's customers, which is already
running well on an Asterisk VM. I don't see them forking up for
licenses on every installation. The product and the adapters that are
bundled with it is a loss leader, sending out an installer costs them
even more.

I am looking at Freeswitch because of its native Windows support, as
it avoids the VM route which makes the installation more complicated
for less savvy or impatient users.

For the Freeswitch developers I would say that there is a large
installed base of Linksys adapters,their clones and other VoIP
adapters working well with Asterisk's passthru. If the Linksys G729
passthru is failing because of an additional letter 'a' where it is
not expected, then it should be fixed or reverted. If the
"NDLB-allow-bad-iananame" is what fixes it should be documented
upfront.

After 3 days playing with Freeswitch and checking the documentation I
see Freeswitch as the way forward for a development oriented user, on
both Linux and Windows, but minor end user issues like these ought to
be avoided, especially if the existing alternatives work well. It is
only a developer or an enthusiast who would put in the effort of
switching, because they can see the advantage.

PS. After using "NDLB-allow-bad-iananame" in both the internal and
external profiles the problem still exists. Does it work on its own,
or does it permit the use of 'G729a' in the codec parameters in
vars.xml?

> Thanks,
> Brian
> PS: In depth install instructions are coming shortly for G729.
>
> On Apr 5, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Frank Church wrote:
>
>> I changed the 'G729a Codec Name' in the Linksys to G729 and the calls
>> were completely garbled, even the ringing. It could be affecting
>> something on the provider end.
>>
>> Could it be that the provider has a different G729 codec that is not
>> compatible with the actual G729a the Linksys is sending?

Frank Church