[Freeswitch-users] A real puzzler for you guys... (perpetual registration causes denial of service.)

Karl Vesterling kjv at ken-ton.com
Wed Sep 16 20:10:14 PDT 2009

Folks;

I give credit where credit is due, and I thank Brian K. West

What For:
This was found to be a compounded problem.  (Cisco was part of it...
But the real problem was the linux kernel...)
Suffice it to say, without the kernel bug, the cisco bug wouldn't have
been easily found.

What Kernel Bug:
It's a kernel bug that corrupted the sqlite database.
This caused Freeswitch to refuse the phones registration request.
This in turn caused the phones to re-register.
Problem was, with 10 phones, 6 lines each, perpetually registering on
a 100Mbps LAN, well, you can imagine the overhead.
This created severe latency with Freeswitch, and manifested as dropped
calls, one way audio, and the more phones you had, the worse the
problem was.

Workaround for problem was to use a ramdisk (tmpfs)  for the database
- (Big Thanks to bkw!)

So far, it's been 24 hours, and all systems are nice and stable.  (no
negative reports yet (fingers crossed)).

Brian (and Folks);
If this is stable through Friday (and there's no reason to think it
won't be),  I will take the time to document the problem, basic
configuration,  and the workaround for the problem on the Wiki this
weekend.

Best Regards,
Karl J. Vesterling
kjv at ken-ton.com