[Freeswitch-users] Mod fax best practices

Rob Forman rob4manhere at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:01:30 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Made some progress on the success rate of faxes and question about
mod_fax default settings that might help others just getting starting.

ECM is turned on by default- which proved problematic, at least for my
setup.  ECM, if I understand correctly, is the Error Correction Mode
which allows fax machines to detect errors in small blocks of data on
a page (via check sums) and request that just those blocks be re-
transmitted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_correction_mode).

Unfortunately, I was seeing a build up of resend requests in the debug
logs which eventually, on 10+ page faxes, exceeded the limit and
caused the fax to fail.  Disabling ECM prevented this failure, though,
as I understand it, possibly at the expense of quality.  Certain
blocks could have errors that aren't corrected.  I haven't seen any
visible loss in quality though and now am transmitting and receiving
with a very good rate of success.

I guess the next question is why there were so many resend requests.
Is that just part of the fax-over-ip territory?  Or is there more than
can be tuned?  Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
Rob