[Freeswitch-users] Janitorial Project Update - Wiki Cleanup

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Oct 20 10:42:07 PDT 2009

Hello all,

As you may know we have a weekly conference call each Friday. This week's
agenda has several wiki cleanup sub-projects. I wanted to crowdsource this
because, as the saying goes, many hands makes the work light. In other
words, if everyone can help a little bit then we won't be dumping a lot of
work on just a few people.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

If you don't already have a wiki account then please go to
http://wiki.freeswitch.org and create one. All wiki users have editing
rights and can make changes to wiki content. Don't worry about making
mistakes! We can always revert a change. Brian West and I review all wiki
edits each day. Standard users can't accidentally delete a page or
permanently remove content. You're totally safe to make edits. By the way,
when you sign in to the wiki you won't see the ads on the left-hand side of
the page and you won't have to scroll down so far to locate the search box.

There are several ways that you can assist with the wiki cleanup. One way is
to help users like Diego Viola who are quite literally going page to page
looking for spelling errors, grammar, etc. If you see an obvious error
please by all means correct it.

Another thing you can do is visit this page and look at the janitorial
section:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FS_weekly_2009_10_23

There are several areas where we can clean up and improve the wiki:

*Dead end pages - these are pages that are linked to by other wiki pages but
do not themselves have links back to anywhere. At the very least each page
should have a link back to some other "see also" kind of content.

*Double redirects - these are redirect pages that point to other redirect
pages. These need to be pointed to the ultimate destination page.

*Orphaned pages - orphans are pages that are not linked to by other pages.
The only way to access these pages is via a search or if you already know
the URL. We need people to review the orphaned pages and add links to them
from other pages.

*Wanted pages and categories - these are pages and categories that have
links but no content. We need people review them and add content or
redirects as appropriate.

*Uncategorized pages - all pages belong to some category and these pages
haven't been added to a category yet. Categories are handy because they act
as natural indexes. Please review pages that have no categories. If you have
an idea for a category that does not yet exist please email me and let me
know. We don't want to have too many categories.

The best way to learn wiki markup is to click the edit button on a page and
see what wiki markup does. You can change the markup and then click Preview
to see what it doesn. Click the cancel link to discard any changes. Play
around and learn!

Thank you for your help. Please feel free to ask for assistance with editing
the wiki. It is a community resource and the more people who know how to add
content, the better off we all are.

Thanks,
Michael