[Freeswitch-users] Subject:, Re: FreeSWITCH-users Digest, Orien L. answer to Mike G.

Michael Gende mgende at gendesign.com
Thu Oct 15 22:02:16 PDT 2009

Hey Orien,

pfsense has a nice interface, but I only use it for adding the FS package,
maybe messing with LAN and WAN addresses. Using the "command line" helped me
to better understand what FS was doing and how. Pfsense just made it easier
to have an OS and really good firewall married to FS without me needing to
do a lot of work. In my pfsense installs, I didn't need to add any firewall
rules to allow SIP ports "right of way", the pfsense folks had taken care of
that detail.

One way to talk "direct" to FS on pfsense is to use the console of the
FreeBSD box you have pfsense installed on. Login as root. You'll get a
character screen with options 1-12 (I believe).

SSHing in gets you the same interface options.

Hit option 8 and you'll go to a shell. I'm assuming you can get around in
Linux or Unix (If not, tell me). "ps aux | grep free" and kill the PID for
FS (pfsense runs FS in the background) Then, invoke FS with
/usr/local/freeswitch/bin/freeswitch.

Now, you're talking direct to FS in the foreground, and it is talking to
you. After starting FS, hit "enter" if there's stuff on the screen - which
there will be - and you'll see the FS prompt. Try the sofia commands.

If you are still configured with:

WAN: 192.168.2.210
LAN: 192.168.3.1
Phones on network 192.168.3.0/24

...then make sure you follow the multi-home wiki instructions in section 4.
I'd include that here, but its better formatted there. I've updated it last
week so have another look if you've not seen it lately.

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Multi_home_tutorial

Also, make sure you understand section 3, the FS COMMANDS FOR STARTERS and
WHERE STUFF IS FOR STARTERS. It'll help.

Following those instructions, unless there's some other issue, will allow
for phones on the LAN to talk to one another. Its a start.

If it does not, we'll take it from there.

Regards,

Mike G.