[Freeswitch-users] Building Freeswitch with VPATH (src and obj directories are different)?

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Tue Oct 13 23:33:43 PDT 2009

brian at freeswitch.org (Brian West) writes:

> You shouldn't have to make clean usually ... doing so might break your
> tree...

Why?

In any case on my mac (Leopard) neither make clean or distclean fully
cleans up afterwards.  I would prefer to get a completely "untouched"
source tree after doing this.  If that's supposed to work and I should
post a bug or report the problem in more detail then I can do that.

> You can usually get by with "make current" that will ensure
> the critical things are cleaned and built correctly... every now and
> they you'll hit a snafu but we'll usually tell you about it.

ok. That's one of the reasons for liking to use VPATH builds. It's also
why many BSD system builds use this so that you can mount the source
tree readonly (perhaps from another server) and build the binaries
in a separate directory independently.

If that's not supported then that's fine.

I was trying to build the latest svn version of freeswitch (Revision:
15138) and this didn't build. As I'm not too familiar with compiling
at least on the Mac I thought I'd first try to see if a VPATH build
would work better. I'll have to try and investigate further.

Simon