[Freeswitch-users] FS Slide deck?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Oct 9 00:05:39 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org>
> wrote:
> > Thanks for reporting back. Please let all the Asterisk users know that
> they
> > are welcome to join us in #freeswitch on irc.freenode.net and that they
> will
> > not be abused like people do in other less friendly IRC channels.
>
> Funny you mention this.  Many people report that the way the FS
> community refers to Asterisk in docs/wikis/irc/whatever makes the FS
> camp seem *less* welcoming to them.  After all, they identify as
> Asterisk Users and take the criticism as being kinda harsh.  Most of
> them acknowledge the shortcomings of Asterisk but are put off when
> someone else points them out.  It's crazy, I know.  The thing is, I
> remember thinking that too.  After getting to know FS better, I didn't
> notice it as much.  Nobody likes to hear their baby is ugly --even if
> they know it is.

Interesting. I'd like to know what specifically turned them off. It could be
node 117, but that was written by Anthony in response to dozens of questions
about the subject. In any case, if the Asterisk guys look at the first
edition of the Starfish/TFOT book they'll see glowing praise of Anthony
Minessale and Brian West, so maybe they'll be willing to listen to those
guys since they've got so much Asterisk knowledge. The other thing is that
many people in the FreeSWITCH community are Asterisk refugees. They left
Asterisk for FreeSWITCH because they had some sort of trouble with Asterisk.
If that comes across in the docs then we'll have to see about cleaning that
up.

> At our session, and in general, I've noticed people are more
> interested in hearing about FS when you don't make direct comparisons
> to Asterisk.  Besides, FS stands on it's own merit.

Agreed. Direct comparisons can always be slanted in any direction. Besides,
FreeSWITCH stacks up very well against a lot of modern (i.e. expensive)
equipment put out by the big boys (Cisco, Avaya, NEC, ShoreTel, etc.).

> Just what I've observed *and* my 2 additional cents.
>
> Gabe

Thanks,
MC